Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Asheville, NC - Dinner at Rosetta's Kitchen - and the scary drive through Appalachia

I wish we had planned more time in Asheville. What a cute, funky, artsy town! We're excited for all the hills and mountains around, after being on the flaaaaaat coast for so long. For dinner we stopped at Rosetta's Kitchen, a hip litltle vegetarian/vegan cafe. None of us were that hungry after our big lunch (plus I ate one of the kid's banana puddings while driving), except for the kids, who always say they are hungry all the time no matter what. Most of the day they've been watching movies on their portable DVD players and picking at snacks. Big B didn't even get out of the car at Andrew's Geyser, he was so absorbed in the screen. Despite being "starving", the kids decided they couldn't possibly find anything they wanted to eat at a vegetarian place (despite the fact that we mostly eat vegetarian at home...), and fussed about that. They finally settled with chips and salsa for dinner.

Mosaics and art everywhere.
Cool lights and plants in the windows. Matt has tacos.
I got a kombucha and grilled cheese with sweet potato fries. Couldn't finish all the fries, so they're going with me in the car.

   After leaving the restaurant I what I anticipate will be just my first scary driving episode. Well, maybe the second, after the foggy mountain earlier. I got separated from Matt, missed a turn to go toward the correct highway, and then had trouble finding my way back to the highway. The GPS couldn't keep up and was just getting me more turned around. None of the road signs seemed to make sense. Finally, in a random small town I stopped to ask some guys chatting by their cars in a church parking lot for directions. They said "You found the right people. You asked a bunch of boyscouts!" They gave me directions, which took Big B and I on an adventure through the mountainous woods between NC and TN on back mountain roads. The kind with just a few one stop sign towns separated by miles of occasional cabins. Big B was cooperative when I needed the car charger for my phone and his DVD player went off, and was quiet and helpful in following the directions. It was dark and rainy and honestly fairly scary, but eventually we got where we needed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment