Sunday, April 7, 2013

I Am Not Anti-School

I was thinking today that maybe I need to add a little disclaimer to my homeschooling posts.

I am not, in general, anti-school.

I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing their decision to send their kids to public or private school or whatever they deem best for their children and families. This is just as I would hope people wouldn't bash my choice to homeschool. I do feel like too many people send their kids to school without thinking about it as a decision or choice. I do think many children would perform very well in the homeschool environment if their parents were willing to give it a try. But I acknowledge that it is not the path for everyone.

Additionally, I don't really think that the public school system, as it is running now, is necessarily best designed for the education of all children. I'm sure everyone can agree that there could be many beneficial changes made. For one thing, I think people learn in a wide variety of different ways and that no one system can account for those differences. But while I disagree with a lot of the politics and the way things are done, and I don't want to participate in it, I know that there is a lot of good in schools as well.

There are a ton of kids who are receiving a good and thorough education in school. Many of these kids would never be able to get at home the education, support, and caring they get at school. There are also a ton of teachers and administrators who put extraordinary amounts of time, effort, energy, and love into what they do everyday. I acknowledge all of this.

So, please understand that when I write about homeschooling as being the best, I mean it is the best for our family and situation at this time. Of course I'm going to highlight the positives, and that may make it sound like I'm painting the alternatives as negative. I can't help that. My hope is that perhaps discussing my choice to teach my children at home will be inspirational or encouraging for others who are also interested in making that choice, not to insult those who don't make the same choices as me.

I just don't want anyone to think I'm insulting what they do, because I'm not - as long as it is done with love and best intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment