Friday, April 26, 2013

A Writing on Writing

I haven't written in a couple of days, or I guess it's been over a week now. At first I wanted this blog to be a daily thing, even if it's not exactly the most purposeful blog overall. Then, I thought maybe I'd update a few times a week. Things kept getting in the way and the "few times a week" became nothing last week. This is not for lack of things to say, but because of competition with all the other things there are to do.

I like to exercise. Well, maybe I don't like it, but I like the health and fitness aspect, and I'm finding that with my migraines it is a necessity to keep me feeling well. I like to bake. I like to paint. I like spend time with Matt. I'd like to get more into meditation, but find it hard to find the time for a regular sitting practice. I'd also like to read more, but get pulled away by all the other things I should or could do. Of course there are also all those not so fun things that have to be done like cleaning and laundry and the like.

I've read about how we all need to make time to exercise. Don't make it an option, they say, just do it. I've read about how we need to make time for our hobbies, as to help us all de-stress. Again, it's not an option, they say. Stress is linked to all kinds of terrible things. Don't de-stress and you'll pop. Same thing for meditation. I read about the many benefits and how important a regular practice should be for us all.And of course they say to spend time everyday with your spouse. Still, despite what "they" say, I'm finding it hard to make time for all the things that require time.

Sometimes I begin to think that it may be easier for all these wonderful things if I would send the kids to school. If they were gone for a chunk of the day, I could do the cooking and cleaning and probably have some time left for exercise and a hobby or two. Right?

In actuality, I probably would end up wasting whatever free time I found here and there, if there even was any. And even more than that, if I really think about it, I get to do many of the things I say I want to because I'm homeschooling the kids, just not in the exact way I want to. I get to read about history and science. I get to practice being mindful and present throughout the day through various tasks. Driving meditation may not be the same as seated practice, but sometimes I think the real life practice may be just as, if not more, valuable. In baking, I can do lengthy things like bake bread and not have to worry about missing a step in going out to pick up or drop off a child somewhere. Because they are home-schooled, I can do things not just with Matt, but with my family. His "weekend" is Wednesday / Thursday, so if the kids were in regular school we would all miss out on that. The kids encourage me in my exercise and sometimes join along. They also enjoy painting with me, and are my best critics.

Then there is that writing thing. That's the one thing I haven't really been able to work out, even in a modified way, with the kids around. At least, not without much frustration on both our parts. I'll spend hours editing, thinking, pecking away, picking out pictures and telling the kids "Just ten more minutes. Just be good for ten more minutes while I finish this!" In these instances, no one ends up particularly happy in the end.

With all of this in mind, I found today's post from zenhabits to be quite timely. "Why You Should Write Daily". For me, the take-home message is two part: 1) just do it, and 2) start small and simple. Sometimes I get wrapped up in the need to write something long, with some amount of purpose, and even better with pictures to go along. But it doesn't have to be that way. I can modify my ideal here, too. I can write just enough to satisfy that writing desire. I can write a bit here and there, save it, and do a bit more later. My blog doesn't need to be fancy or purposeful or colorful. It doesn't need to have even one reader. I do need to write, however, for all the reasons listed on zenhabits, plus because I just like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment