Friday, May 9, 2014

Planting of garden A

This was done on May 3rd, after receiving some beautiful free seedlings from a wonderful lady at my fellowship at an Earth Day event. The kids had been there as the sole representatives of their Navigators USA Chapter, spreading their knowledge about compost.

It was a warm, sunny weekend and the plants seemed happy to get into the ground. First, L helped me make a list of what we had and a few things we still planned to get, and make a general plan. We used a little bit of basic knowledge about companion plants (like cucumbers and sunflowers, corn and beans), and about keeping tall things from shading low things, except maybe the lettuces that might like it a little bit shady at times, but otherwise didn't stress it a ton. I've read more since then about the soil qualities and nutrients that the plants I have enjoy, and worry that maybe I should have grouped them like that, but I've also read that there are a million gardening charts and you can make yourself crazy with them. Better to just get the stuff in the ground, I'm thinking.


From the previous post on filling the bed, it was mostly full. I just used bagged garden soil massaged into the native soil around where the plants were going. 

The rear portion is lettuces, then a collection of three tomato plants lined with Thai basil, an empty spot where some peppers will go when they've sprouted, and those sticks are two lines of corn and beans. There are also some marigolds in there along the edges. It's a bit tight, yes. But this is how it is in the city. The plants will just have to learn to be cuddly.

Lastly, on May 4th I gave everything a good soak and mulched with grass clippings.

No comments:

Post a Comment